Thursday, December 13, 2012

10 months: the good, the bad, and the ugly



I know so many moms who insist each time their child passes into a new stage that this stage truly is the best/most favorite. (Except I know no one who ever said that about the newborn stage. Me included.) Caroline is such an absolute joy right now, in spite of all her ongoing medical issues. She has such personality and curiosity and enthusiasm for everything in life! She is becoming more and more of a 'little person' and less and less of a 'baby' each day. It's an exciting time, as we're rapidly approaching toddlerhood. 10 months seems to be the turning point....a closing chapter to her infant days. She's not walking yet but I'm expecting it any day now, and then we'll really be off to the races. I love watching her personality unfold but I'm certainly not blind to the challenges that lie ahead. With that, here's a little snapshot of life at 10 months: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

The Good

  • She has finally gotten adjusted to attending mother's day out and does not cry when I drop her off anymore. Whew! Now she sees her friends happily playing on the floor and she reaches out for her teacher to take her in. No tears! I know she's having a good time, and she's even getting to test her artistic skills with finger painting and holiday art. I love how intently she's focused on her finger painting. I want to know how the teachers managed to get her to cooperate without sticking her fingers in her mouth.


  • Her sense of humor cracks me up. You wouldn't think a 10 month old would understand humor....it seems like it would be a learned response as one gets older. But she definitely recognizes when things are funny. One time I was carrying her upstairs and having my hands full, I grabbed her binky and stuck it in my mouth inside out. She took one look at me and had a good chuckle. Silly mom doesn't know which way the binky goes!


  • Speaking of binkys, she wholeheartedly enjoys a new sport known as 'binky tossing'. If there were an olympic event for this she would be a gold medalist. Every time we put her down to sleep we put several binkys in her crib, knowing that 3/4 of them will end up on the floor. I've watched her on the baby monitor. She chucks those things will impressive speed and distance. And then she laughs at me when I have to get down on my hands and knees and awkwardly attempt to fish them out from behind the curtains, under the crib, etc. 


  • She is babbling up a storm with baby gibberish and is now happily saying 'mama' on a regular basis. Interesting though, whenever she wakes up extra early she usually starts singing 'dada'...I think she knows that mommy is not an early riser, daddy is. Better to be safe and call for the one you know is certain to respond. Smart girl. She also waves hello and bye-bye!



The Bad

  • We haven't made any headway in her solid food progress. After last month's 3 week no solid food trial, she seemed to do much better during the week of thanksgiving. So I attempted to trial some solid foods again, and within a week the symptoms returned. We only lasted about 2 weeks on solids, and I grew tired of fighting with all the same issues knowing they disappeared when solids were removed. So we went off solids again, and are back on formula only. I spoke to her dietician who agreed that is the best choice for now. She can get all the nutrition she needs for now through the formula. We need answers about why solid foods cause such constipation and discomfort in her to the point that she stops wanting to eat. The dietician and our GI suggested that we meet with another doctor in the same department who specializes in motility issues. We know from her upper and lower GI tests that she doesn't have any structural abnormalities blocking the flow through her digestive system, but there are still many many reasons why and how her system might not be functioning correctly.

  • She's already starting to show signs of having a bit of a temper and I know the terrible 2's will probably be a challenge. When she encounters a situation that she doesn't agree with she will arch her back and try to give me the dead fish treatment. Example: being placed in the playpen. You'd think I was torturing the child with hot coals by placing her in there. As soon as I lean over to put her in there she starts squirming and arching her back and flopping around. After I walk away she proceeds to cry with a particularly ear-shattering screech. No tears, just high-pitched screeching. And if I give her The Look she will stop momentarily, knowing it's not approved. But as soon as I turn around again she commences with the screeching. 


The Ugly

  • We're also dealing with a bit of a biting problem. She likes to lean over and take a nibble out of my shoulder. Not mean or malicious biting, but perhaps just giving me a little love nibble. Regardless, it doesn't feel good and biting is not allowed and she knows it. She will lean over ever so slightly, mouth open, watching me as she's going for the kill when she knows it's forbidden. And then when I reprimand her she starts crying like I hurt her feelings. And it is REALLY hard not to laugh.




And a little lagniappe...photos from cousin Riley's 2nd birthday party last weekend at the Little Gym. Caroline had a great time. She was the youngest one there but kept up with all the big kids!


Riley was so happy to see Caroline!

Granny helped her climb up and slide down.

Daddy helped her sit on the bouncy while the big kids jumped.

attempt #37 at trying to get a decent family photo...FAIL.

Can't believe this big girl is 2 already!!

licking the window at a preschool gym...probably not the
best idea during cold and flu season. or ever.

Aunty Em was delighted to see a future
gymnast in the making!





1 comment:

  1. finally catching up with my google reader - I would SO have trouble not laughing at the leaning in mouth wide open testing you thing!!

    ReplyDelete