Monday, July 30, 2012

A little of this, a little of that

I'm savoring these last few weeks while Caroline is still immobile, and dreading the quickly-approaching day where she figures out how to propel herself forward. Any time I put her on the ground she's rolling all over the place and practicing getting in the scooting position. The logistics of entrapping a mobile baby while still allowing the dog the freedom to roam is one matter. Luckily my friend Betsy alerted me to these delightful baby gates with cat-shaped cutouts. Perhaps I can destroy it modify it a bit to be pug-shaped. But then, if the pug can crawl through, I'm guessing the baby can too. 



The other matter I'm now dreading is the fact that our entire second floor of the house is hardwood and tile. I can just see her head slamming into the kitchen tile while she's learning to coordinate her limbs while crawling. Exhibit A: here she is practicing her new skills, which ends with a topple onto the carpet. And she's already crying. On CARPET. 




Call me a nervous parent but I have serious reservations about letting her cranium crash onto hard surfaces. I mean, she's gonna need every brain cell she's got, no? And aside from the serious head injuries, there's always the undesirable aesthetics of a giant purple egg-shaped bruise on her forehead. Right now we enjoy the multitude of total strangers that stop us in the grocery store to say how cute the baby is. We can't let her good looks go by the wayside. 


Fear not, Amazon to the rescue. There are a bajillion listings of unnecessary baby products that cater to fearful parents, and this one is at the top of my list. 


It's not a helmet, it's part of my stylish wardrobe.


Sure, she'll probably protest at first. No one really enjoys wearing a helmet at all waking hours. But perhaps with time she'll get accustomed to it and will start to enjoy her new 'hat.' Or at least until her skull thickens up a bit and/or she becomes more coordinated.


If we can keep all her brain cells intact she has a good chance of being smart. She loves storytime and even has a good sense of humor! We read every day and she seems to enjoy it. Although she does try to eat the books.



But if all else fails and book-smarts aren't her thing, perhaps we'll just harness some of her physical energy into gymnastics talent. My sister Emily has said since Caroline was born that she has strong legs and she's always enjoyed pushing with her feet. So naturally I had to see how Caroline would react to all the flipping and tumbling on the Olympic gymnastics. She was enthralled. She bopped and bounced in her jumper right along with the gymnasts. I'm saving this video in case one day she does decide to get into gymnastics...she will get a big kick out of seeing how she exhibited her 'talent' at such a young age! Forget Tiger Woods and his 3-year-old self swinging golf clubs, we got Caroline at 5 months prepping for a double back flip with two-and-a-half twist! Olympics 2028 here we come!

1 comment:

  1. You DO realize worrying about bumps and bruises doesn't exactly make you a prime candidate for the job of "mother of a gymnast", right? ;)

    ReplyDelete