Sunday, February 5, 2012

40 weeks...and no baby yet

Against all odds, Butterbean has decided he/she is extremely comfortable in my belly and is not looking to make an appearance any time soon. EVERYONE thought I would deliver early, myself included, but the 'bean has proved us all wrong! Even my doctor told me weeks ago that she expected I would probably deliver before my due date. Well February 4 has come and gone, and no sign of baby yet. I have been making slow but steady progress for weeks now (at my last appointment on Thursday I was 4 cm dilated!), but apparently that does not guarantee that delivery is imminent. I've been getting tons of texts and phone calls, everyone anxiously wanting to know what's going on. Bill and I have been living on pins and needles for literally an entire month now, expecting that at any moment we could be rushing to the hospital. He said, "Every day I wake up and wonder, is today the day I'll become a dad?" Every night I take a hot bath and think "Is this the last relaxing hot bath I'll have BC (before child)?" Every week at the grocery store we buy sandwich meat and bread, frozen items, and cereal, thinking that we don't want to cook much because we might be off to the hospital and don't want it to go bad. After 4 weeks of turkey on wheat and Life cereal for dinner, I'm getting a bit tired of the perpetual waiting game. My doctor said she doesn't usually let patients go much more than a week past their due date, due to potential complications that can arise, so I know there is definitely an expiration date on this pregnancy. I was really hoping to avoid being induced, but it's looking more and more likely that will be our plan. I have an ultrasound tomorrow to make sure the fluid levels are still good and Butterbean is still doing ok. Then another dr. appointment on Tuesday to review the results of the ultrasound and decide what the plan is. If myself and baby both are still doing just fine, all indications show no problems, I will ask her if we can wait just a few days more even though the anticipation is about to drive us crazy. I know it's better for a bunch of reasons to let the labor process start naturally and I want things to go as smooth as possible. However if the ultrasound shows that I'm harboring a giant 9 lb. baby, or if there's any indication that there might be an unfavorable condition, I will go ahead and ask if we can be induced on Thursday or Friday. Stay tuned for updates!





2 comments:

  1. I know its frustrating but induction is such a great thing! I felt like you did when I did not start the labor process naturally but do not worry. The induction is like checking into a hotel room. You have time to get comfy and you get drugs before you feel anything! Strongly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and Bill! Lots of thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete