Wednesday, January 18, 2012

a tour of the nursery...and a little pregnancy humor











Planning the nursery has been a lesson in patience and flexibility. My interior designer friend Rachel Cannon (http://sohaus.blogspot.com/) came up with the original design concepts and layout back in October, and it's been slow but steady progress ever since. We started with the crib, a great deal on sale at Babies R Us. (That's my very first teddy bear in the crib, which my mom bought for me when she found out she was pregnant. Winnie got ahold of him one night, hence his slightly-mangled-looking nose. Otherwise he's in good shape.)



Then my mom found a dresser in the right size I wanted on Craigslist, and she and I spent several days refinishing, painting, sealing, and putting new knobs on it. I think it turned out pretty cute!



Then my grandmother offered to provide the absolutely-essential glider chair and gliding ottoman, which we ordered from Royal Standard. We had a few challenges getting the chair from Baton Rouge to Houston, but luckily my wonderful in-laws brought it here in their SUV last weekend (with not an extra inch to spare!) It is a perfect fit for me...not too big, and fits just right in this spot in this room.




From there it was a nursery-buying frenzy, including the bookshelf (Ikea), storage cubes/benches (Target), owl lamp and side table (West Elm), sconce lights (Pottery Barn), rug (Home Decorators Collection) and tons of storage baskets. Bill spent the majority of the week of thanksgiving up to his elbows in assembly instructions and tools of unknown origin, which he seemed pretty adept at using. The final pieces were the crib linens and upholstery items. My mom made them all! We ordered fabric and she made the crib bumpers, bench cushions, and throw pillow. Thanks Mom! And now the nursery is finally complete. Just waiting on a little bambino who should arrive any day now!

And finally, a little peek at some of our more-humorous pregnancy moments:
















My ridiculous (yet delightfully warm) coat. Do we see a resemblance here?


















In the infant care class...bill took the instructions about the "football hold" literally.













Yes this man is about to be the father of my child. Should I be worried?

3 comments:

  1. BROWN BEAR RETURNS!!!! For the baby's health and well being I hope to God you had that thing sanitized.... And the new rug is much cuter than the giant scary owl rug; good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The room looks fantastic! Everything came together really well. I love the rug and all the natural light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, Liz! Hopefully we'll be meeting him/her any moment now!

    ReplyDelete